The core of most suffering is related to this very statement. Be in charge of your own life. It sounds simple, but is it, and what does it mean?
I believed I was in charge of me my whole adult life, until I realized that I could not have been more wrong. I had given my power away to doctors, friends, my partner and everything that was holding me back. I had given it away to old hurts and anger, to frustration and sickness.
I was driven by what I believed I was supposed to do, and how I was supposed to act. I believed what I was told by “authorities”, about what was good for me and what was not.
I am sure you know what I mean when I say, I cared what others thought of me, and I tried to fit in and to be accepted by the crowd. I wanted to please and to be acknowledged by others, and lost my power in doing so.
When everything fell apart, and my body was too sick to function, truth revealed it self to me. A long process of letting go of old conditioning started. I could see clearly that I had been giving away my true power, and not been true to myself. My wanting to please and perform had kept me from living an authentic heart felt live in peace with me and the creation.
What does it mean to be in charge of your own life?
In one sentence, it means that you are being true to your self and your life purpose. It also means that you are taking charge of everything about your life, and that there never was or is anyone but yourself to blame for anything that you experience. It means that no matter what you are living right now, you know it is up to you to change it. It is always up to you.
Taking charge of ones life is the single most important shift of perception towards living a life free of suffering and despair. Yes, a shift of perception. Giving away ones power is about the mindset. Every time we feel disempowered, we have given away our power. That means that every time you feel frustrated or angry about something that anyone else said or did, you have given away your power. What others say or do, has nothing to do with you. You hold the key to your own emotions. You are the boss of your inner terrain, physically, mentally and emotionally. Everything you do, say, think or feel is 100% your own responsibility. Now THAT is true freedom!
Taking charge also means taking full responsibility. We have been led to believe that others are responsible, and that they know better. We have been taken off the job as the one who knows what is best for us, and we are disconnected from our inner knowing.
Think of it this way. If you are the one that knows what is best for you, and no one else could ever be to blame for anything that you experience, wouldn`t you like yourself to be in charge? I would most certainly like to be the one that was on top of my game, if I was the one living my life. I realized that I was the one that had created the situation, and only I could choose to change it.
Signs that you are in charge of you life:
You know that it is you that has to change, to change anything in your life.
Your health becomes your own responsibility.
Educating yourself and thinking for your self becomes a priority.
Being true to yourself first becomes natural.
You make choices based on your own inner guidance and research.
What other people think is no longer important.
You have a strong sense of who you are and where you are going.
Fear is no longer the driving force in your life.
You are taking action towards your goals.
You have no need to follow anyone, blame anyone or point fingers at anyone.
Being the boss of your own life, feels like true freedom.
You never feel like a victim.
You realize how amazing you are just being YOU.
Life is so much better when you KNOW that you are the one in charge of your life. Even when I was at my sickest, in pain and despair, knowing that I held the power to change, changed everything.
“We are who we choose to become, and every second of every day holds the potential to take charge of our own destiny.” Hilde
A few tips on how to take charge of your life:
- Make a choice. Decide that you are the boss of your life, and that only you can do what it needed to live the life you want and need. Once you make a decision, stay with it, and keep your focus. Give yourself time, and realize that everything is going to be ok.
- Be the authority. We are so used to listening to others, that hearing our own voice can be hard. Let go of needing everybody`s opinion and validation, and listen more to YOU. This does not mean that you will not need advice and guidance, but never give the power away, and always follow your own intuition. Make your own decisions, no matter what others might think or say.
- Get educated. It is important to do your own research about any topic that involves your life. There are so many opinions out there, and so much information, only you can find what resonates with you. You are the one that will live the outcome of every decision you make, so make sure you are in charge of it.
- Take action. Every transformation requires action. We can think all the positive thought we want, but without action there is no progress. Get going, and once you take a stand, once you know what you want, walk towards it, and do not be afraid of failure. Act like you mean it.
- Be your own cheerleader. Be your own best friend and support. Speak highly of your self, and think empowering thoughts. Try to eliminate any complaining, and be proud that you are taking charge and being the boss of your life. Once we see how valuable we are, we also see the same in others. This means we can be a great support for others as well.
- Let go of the past. Letting go of anything that is holding us back will make a huge shift in our ability to move forward. The past has no bearing on the future, or the now, if we do not carry it with us. It is obstructing to the flow and is like carrying a heavy luggage with something you do not want to own. Once you are free from any burden of past experiences, the freedom will empower you to make better decisions in the now.
- Start today! The only time and the best time is always now. Procrastination takes us nowhere, it is merely a resistance to change. Analyze why you would resist any change, and work on setting goals for your life and your health today.
Self empowerment is about taking charge and responsibility. Through feeling powerful one becomes fearless. When one becomes fearless, life becomes limitless.
If you want something to change, change something. Start NOW, and do not waste another minute feeling less than great!
I would be honored to guide you, and to encourage you on your path to the greatest version of you. It is my true passion.
Power up and Grow FREE!
Health and Wellness Coach/ Detox Specialist